Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.

  • Subject: Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 00:57:30 -0500 (CDT)

Denis,

So here we are on the borderline between doing it right and doing it the
practical way. First off, I would agree with anyone who would oppose the use
of "pothos" for this material. Here I am a hardliner. I think it is HIGH
time that "nursery"-names of more than 2 centuries old, should be eradicated
(what about Arum cornutum for Typh. venosum etc.). The term Golden Pothos is
even worse, since there is a cultivar of E. moorense  named 'Golden Pothos'
and the fools of the Dutch Plant Breeder's Right Bureau have accepted that
name and registered it legally. It is an all-yellow form selected from
'Aureum', but the name 'Golden Pothos' thus has gotten a new status in UPOV
countries......(I suppose this is something you DIDN'T want to know.......).

Now to writing a proper cultivar name. There is no way to escape from using
a binomial. Thus the name of cultivar 'Aureum' and all cultivars of
Epipremnum must at LEAST be tagged Epipremnum 'cultivar name'. The species
"name" is less relevant in correct use because by default a cultivar name
may not exist twice in one and the same genus, irrespective under what
species of that genus the names may have been established. I suppose a
binomial on a tag would be surmountable, right (unless you cultivate palms
like Johannesteysmannia..............). There is allowance however for using
the common name instead of the genus name or crop name and then add the
cultivar. Thus one might say Sunflower 'Dark Medal' instead of Helianthus
(annuus) 'Dark Medal'. But then we run into the problem, that the "common
name" for Epipremnum would seem to be Pothos, and that is hardly acceptable.
I must confess though that by now the common name Calla(-lily) for
Zantedeschia has been firmly established as well and that is not a pretty
one either.

I am sure this does not solve all of your problems, like the use of the term
"pothos" as a sort of common name denoting all Epipremnums. But then this:
what do you call Epipremnum-like plants like true Rhaphidophora and like? I
guess you may have to start teaching your customers some basic use of
correct names, step by step..... Look e.g. at a catalogue like that of our
esteemed Aroid-l member Tony Avent. THERE's a catalogue you may want to
learn from.

Cheerio,
Wilbert