Re: why scientists don't just give up the names battle

  • Subject: Re: why scientists don't just give up the names battle
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:24:01 -0500 (CDT)

Just perhaps Les has hit the nail on the head. If those in the minority, just give
a wee bit with their rigidity, they could have what they basically want. If that is
not acceptable, then the efforts of forcing upon the multitude can continue with
current equal success. Another words, give up the rigidity that there is only one
way. There are many ways to skin a cat if that is what you so choose to do.
Botanics serves a select group basically and it does a reasonably good job of it. I
don't think we are going to teach chemistry to the masses and in the same respect,
I don't think we are going to teach a great deal of botanics to the masses. All
most want is a pretty plant, a different plant, a colorful plant, a whatever plant.
They don't care what you call it. If you make the name so difficult for them, they
will just revert to what they knew it as before. Yes, a few of us like to know what
we are looking at in botanical terms, but let's face it, not many do.

Betsy