Re: In-ground Planting Mix

  • Subject: Re: In-ground Planting Mix
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:28:18 -0500 (CDT)

Dear all,

    I agree with Lynn. What is true for epiphytes may not be true for
geophytes. I mean, in places like Central Brazil, the higher the pH of the
soil, higher the diversity of Aroids. In fact, I am suspicious that the
problem is not the pH itself, but the availability of calcium. Limestone
outcrops or limestone-derived soils are much richer in aroids than
surrounding areas. Many Amorphophallus species are endemic to limestone
outcrops (am I correct, Wilbert), as well as some tuberous Xanthosoma,
Taccarum, Spathicarpa, etc. In pure forms of the Brazilian cerrado
vegetation, that is known as having the soil poor in calcium, no aroid is
known to occur. However, limestone outcrops in surrounding areas that are
usually in drier conditions may support a diverse aroid flora. Correct me if
I am wrong, but even in rainforests growing in sandy soils are high in
calcium that is held in the biomass and in the fast recycled humus. If you
have ever worked with the anatomy of aroids, you will note that there are so
many calcium oxalate cristal in almost every tissue that they must have come
from somewhere!!!

                                Very best wishes,

                                         Eduardo.