Re: Missing Raphides

  • Subject: Re: Missing Raphides
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:34:35 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted.Held@hstna.com <Ted.Held@hstna.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Sunday, July 22, 2001 11:01 AM

>>Maybe I should re-cast this query. Has anybody on this list ever seen a
raphide? If so, how? Perhaps they are mythological.

Ted<<

Dear Ted,

I can understand your frustration---maybe the Dieffenbachia that you used
was a hybrid with less 'potency'---you may want to check out the following
two articles in back issues of Aroideana, both show photos of these
structures---

a) "The remarkable shooting Idioblasts" by Father Eugene Middendorf, Bio.
Sciences Dept., Quincy College, Quincy,  Ill. 62301 in Aroideana Vol.6, No.
1.    I believe that Deni Bown`s illus. were done based on the photos in
this article, which also gives directions on how to obtain and view this
mech. microscopically.

b) "A possible defence mechanism in Scindapsis latifolius (Araceae:
Monsteroideae)" in Aroideana Vol. 16--- I could not find my copy of Vol. 16,
so can not give any further details on this article, but remember that it
had a photo of the raphides as they were 'shot' out of the plant while it
was being prepared as a herb. specimen sheet.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Julius Boos
WPB,