Re: Need Anthurium anatomy lesson

  • Subject: Re: Need Anthurium anatomy lesson
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:58:55 -0500 (CDT)

Apomixis doesn't mean the flowers aren't perfect, or that the seeds were
produced without pollenation of the flower. It just means that the
resulting seeds are produced from the mother plant's unreduced somatic
tissues. The seeds of citrus are notorius for producing apomictic
seedlings as well as sexually produced seedling making it hard to be
sure the resulting progeny were replicants of the Mother plant or a
hybrid plant which is what the breeder is looking for.

In the case of Anthurium clarinervium the flowers are perfect containing
both female and male parts and are whorled about the spadix from bottom
to top. The female parts open first starting at the base of the spadix
and moving up progrssively as several days pass. They appear as small
bumps or stalks with droplets of a viscous clear or grey liquid
(stigmatic fluid) on top when receptive. As they pass out of receptivity
and dry up the male parts appear as yellow stamens sticking out of the
spadix. No offense intended to Dr. Tom but A, B, & C all appear to me to
be various stages of the male phase. Any of the female parts would
either be at the top of the spadix or totally gone by at the time of the
photo shown.

The important thing to remember is that to cross pollinate an Anthurium
you need male pollen and female stimatic fluid which may mean more than
one plant or one plant with several inflorescences (spadices) slightly
out of phase so that one has pollen and one has receptive stigmas. Or
you can try storing pollen if you are that organized and intense about

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida