Re: newsletter deadline very soon

>Please everyone could I have any snippets to add to the next newsletter in
>the next few days .
>Even a suggestion for a possible hybrid or a question about breeding to add
>to the new 'Breeders Banter' column.
>Every little bit helps to make a diverse and interesting newsletter .
>Michael Pascall,

Your phrasing about possible snippets for inclusion made me remember a
question that I had for this group, whether appropriate for the newsletter
or not. While on vacation recently, a came across a plant at a nursery
which was labelled Dieffenbachia - however, the growth habit was much more
clearly Homalomena, although the leaves were much larger than any
Homalomena I have seen, with leaf blades averaging between 10 - 12 " long
and 6 1/2" wide, good-sized leaves for a Dieffenbachia even, and very
nicely patterned as well, with three different shades of green, darkest to
the outside, and a pinkish cast to the underside surface. But the plant was
less than 6" tall, with numerous leaves lying flat on the ground and
several growing points obvious.

I suggested to the greenhouse person who was watering, and apparently also
in charge, that the label might be incorrect, and she told me that she had
been told that it was a cross between Homalomena and Dieffenbachia when she
raised the same question as me to the grower. Have there in fact been any
cross genus hybrids made with these two genera, or was the grower just
trying to not appear to be less knowledgable than the person to whom he was
selling these plants? Any opinions?

Jonathan Ertelt, Greenhouse Manager
Department of Biological Sciences
Vanderbilt University