Amorphophallus stipitatus

  • Subject: Amorphophallus stipitatus
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:53:16 -0500 (CDT)

This species came to me as Kaichen 1999 A-102. On Chen Yi's web site, the
flower sort of looks like konjac, but smaller and perhaps taken at a
distance. Not having bloomed for me yet, the 3 foot parasols look like the
konjacs I am also growing. Anyone have a positive i.d., vegatative key?
I sent out offsets to others of one big mama I dug up last fall (its one
single parasol is now over 3 feet high and wide, blocking the walkway at
the side of the house), but the other tuber seemed perfectly hardy here in
NewJersey and is a big jumble of parasols in its narrow bed. When is/are
our group(s) supposed to set up a trading post bulletin board? If grant
money holds out for my boss here, and I'm still on-line in the fall, I can
be reached privately at magrysbo@shu.edu.
Bonaventure Magrys