Re: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)

  • Subject: Re: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:20:58 -0500 (CDT)

> From: MossyTrail@cs.com
> requires a point-of-origin phyto for seeds entering the US.
> Unless I am mistaken, this regulation also has attached to it a
similar one
on interstate shipping?
----------

No, the only regulation interstate has to do with listed noxious weed
seed, a regulation of long standing which nobody has any problems
with...at least I don't:-)

The regulation requiring the phyto. for imported seeds has been on
the books for many years; it just has not been enforced.  What they
have done now is state that they are going to enforce it...which they
are doing in a rather spotty sort of way at present.  I have read
posts stating that RHS seed exchange seeds have been sent  back to
RHS for lack of phyto, etc., etc.  It is currently affecting small
seed houses that regularly sell seed to the US.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Planting Basics: Soil