RE: Snails and Slugs

  • Subject: RE: Snails and Slugs
  • From: "Ann Hawes" <sunlily@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:21:46 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Harry,
Just a quick note from the slug capitol of the US.  One part ammonia to 3 parts water in a squirt bottle will kill small slugs if you spray it on them.  Test on a leaf first.
"Sluggo"  and "Worry Free" are non toxic slug baits.  You just sprinkle the bait lightly around every two weeks.  Both baits kill slugs by interupting their feeding process.  A little goes a long way with this one.
The caffeine in coffee is supposed to kill slugs instantly, but not coffee grounds as the caffeine has been leached out.  Spray it on the slug.  Perhaps cheap ground coffee would work as a deterrent mulch.
Dishes with beer will attract and collect all but the teetotaling slugs (I have seen a slug avoid beer while dozens of others oozed to their doom).
If you have the tiny dark slugs or the milky slugs that that live right in the plant like in a Hosta then aim one of the sprays right into the crown.
Just last week I found slug damage in some of the late emerging Arisaema, boo.  Had not had damage before this.
I don't recommend the toxic slug baits as residual poison stays in the ground for several years after the bait dissolves into the ground and it is bad for birds and other wonderful critters.
Hope this helps!
Ann Hawes
Redmond, WA