Re: [aroid-l] Xanthosoma or Colocasia?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Xanthosoma or Colocasia?
  • From: "Peter C Boyce" levieux.jardin@wanadoo.fr
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:47:05 +0200

Hi Leslie

Well, it's a Xanthosoma. I'm by no means an expert on these Latin American taro yams but I know a little that might be useful.

This plant and several very like it are in the trade and commonly cultivated as Xanthosoma sagittifolium and certainly no-one would argue against applying that name. However, there are several species that might also be involved including X. brasiliense & X. mafafa and green forms of X. violaceum that are in cultivation and grown under the umbrella name X. sagittifolium.

Pete