[aroid-l] titanum cultural observation

  • Subject: [aroid-l] titanum cultural observation
  • From: "Clark T. Riley" drriley@mypcr.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:28:24 -0400

Last year was extremely hectic at work and through oversight, my three Amorphophallus titanums were left out awfully late -- right up to a light October frost (Baltimore, Maryland, USA). I realized in the frosty morning what had happened and brought them in. The leaves on all three turned a sickly yellow and the leaves died within a month. I left the plants alone and let them get rather dry in the basement where I keep most of my plants in the winter. I've learned over the decades it is often better to leave plants alone in these circumstances as I am more likely to damage them by digging.

When spring arrived, there had been no subsidence in the pots to indicate that the tubers had perished, so I brought them out when it was safely warm and began watering. Once our temperature passed a routine 80oF, I saw that all three had sprouted. Now that temperatures are routinely in the 90s, the largest spear is up to about 2 ft high. They are on a bench in the side yard which gets full sun most of the day. When my titanums sprout and grow in the strong sunlight, they mature short enough in the autumn to fit under the fluorescent lights of my main plant bench.

This is by no means recommended culture -- I'm sure they have lost a year of growth enlargement. But at least 3 of 3 survived a brush with frost.

Clark Riley
Baltimore, Maryland, USA