Re: [aroid-l] Titanum at National Botanic Garden, Washinton, D.C.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Titanum at National Botanic Garden, Washinton, D.C.
  • From: "Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden" htbg@ilhawaii.net
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:11:41 -1000

The time it takes for the plant to is very much up to the environment in
which it is grown, I think.  In my personal garden at home, I have just
(last week) flowered a Titan that was only five years old from seed.  It is
planted in the ground, in a well drained site, receiving full sun for about
an hour mid-day and otherwise in dappled shade.  The total height of the
inflorescence was just over four feet; so it was a small example of the
potential.  The tuber was never dug up to check on the condition or size of
the corm.

Interestingly, the spathe opened quite rapidly during the evening of July
17th.  With great anticipation I awaited the infamous stench... but, that
never occurred.  Quite to my surprise, the spathe closed back up around the
spadix late the following afternoon!  Prying open the spathe, I found
copious quantities of pollen had been shed over the receptive stigmas and a
heavy layer of pollen lay in the bowl at the bottom of the spathe.  It
appears to have selfed!  Again, much to my dismay!

This event was not announced as I did not want a stampede to my door and I
rather feared that the "stink" may blow my cover.  Thanks for small