From: <MossyTrail@cs.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 2:48 AM
Subject: Re: [aroid-l] aroid fruit

> "Peter C Boyce" <levieux.jardin@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >On the last point, very frequently the ripe fruits are 'protected' by
> >various irritant crystals and/or chemicals and in Europe red and
> >orange-berried Arum and Dracunculus are both irritant and poisonous with
> >there being several deaths recorded resulting from children ingesting
> >maculatum and A. italicum berries. So, remember that attractive colour,
> >smell & taste doesn't always man that the fruit are safe to ingest - I'd
> >recommend that you proceed carefully!
> >
> Do those Arum spp. have attractive tate, or only smell and colour?  Small
children (how small were they?) are known to ingest things experimentally,
rather than because they taste good.
> On a similar note, birds' digestion is very different from ours, and it
may be that certain fruits are designed to attract birds, while at the same
time protect against mammals.  The "hot" flavor of chile peppers is an
example of this -- birds can eat chiles without the irritation experienced
by mammals, because their mouths are drier.  Small fruits like berries are
more likely to be bird-dispered, while larger fruits like apples and oranges
are more likely to be mammal-dispersed.