Re: [aroid-l] Need Monstera ID

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Need Monstera ID
  • From: Eugene Hoh <hohe@symphony.net.au>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:47:03 +1000

hi Michael,

your plant with divided leaves looks like something I'm growing...  which I think
is Monstera subpinnata .

... Looking it up in the TROPICOS database (Missouri Botanic Gardens)...it's a
species that's been collected in Peru and Bolivia, and also Ecuador & Brazil
(Acre).   Maybe you could have a look under its 'specimen list'  for this
species? as some of the (more recent) specimen records have field notes that
describe fine details - e.g. of stem, veins, colour, texture - which you could
compare with your own plant.

(btw.  if you haven't used that database before - it's at
It's quite a good resource for nomenclature - for checking names & classification
- & has many habitat pics & herbarium specimen records for aroids collected in C.
& S. America )

Eugene Hoh
Sydney, Australia