[aroid-l] upcoming seed harvests

  • Subject: [aroid-l] upcoming seed harvests
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@ncsu.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:30:41 -0400

It's been a very good year for aroids blooming, especially the
Amorphophallus, and the
Typhoniums are just now coming into blooming season.

After photographing the Amorph blooms, I'm cutting off the flowers from most
so they won't set seed and drain the tuber of enery.   But for a few
species,  the pollination
attempts appear to be working.  I'm hoping to get seed on the following:

Am. saururus
Am. sizemoreae
Am. saururus X Am. sizemoreae
Am. sizemorea X Am. saururus
Am. saururus X Am. 'reflexum' ( a new species that I've nicknamed becasue
the spathe reflexes)

I expect to have a good harvest of Synandrospadix vermitoxicus seeds this
fall as well.

Also a huge seedhead of Arisaema maxwellii (the whitish flowering form) is
developing nicely.

So for those of you that like growing aroids from seed, start saving some
areas on your benches
when harvest time gets here.