Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware
  • From: "Temmerman" <temmerm@skynet.be>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:55:39 +0200

Hi,

> I hate
> seeing these poor people bidding up on plants that can be had for,  like
Julius
> said, 1/4 of the going price at most nurseries.  Not to mention they think
> they are getting something only a few collectors in the world have due to
> misleading SOB sellars.  I guess this happens all the time in every
category on ebay
> and other auction sites but it just irks me to see people getting ripped
off
> by the same few every time.

I do agree.  The Amorphophallus on ebay reach prices that are just not
normal.  But I would also say that there are considerable differences
between different nurseries sometimes.  What costs $15 in one, can cost the
double in another one.

Furthermore, the problem is that there are only about 3 Amorphophallus
species commonly available for everybody: bulbifer, paeoniifolius and
konjac.  When somebody really gets into these plants and wants more, where
can you get them? It is not easy at all.  PlantDelights has some other ones,
but if one really becomes an Amorphophallus addict, that really isn't
enough.  Trading is not easy either, because what serious Amorphophallus
collector doesn't have bulbifer or konjac?  So I think it is normal that,
when a new Amorphophallus species shows up on ebay, people bid on it, more
than that the plant is actually worth.  But those plants are nowhere else to
be found, so these people are paying what they have to to get it.

I also wanted to say that ebay is not necessarily synonym with "not
trustworthy".  There are nurseries that do not sell on ebay that cannot be
trusted either.  Buyer beware is a really good principle, and does not only
count for the internet.  I think the positive thing of ebay is that some
less common Amorphophallus can be achieved by people who are just starting a
collection.

Sincerely,
Michael