RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum and P. bipinnatifidum?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum and P. bipinnatifidum?
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:18:27 +0000

Dear Tom,

All horticultural "P. williamsii" is now P. stenolobum. The real P. williamsii is a completely different species, occurring in coastal Bahia state and is rather rare. I don´t have it in cultivation and I have never seen a living specimen in any collection I have visited or It looks like a P. speciosum (or like a huge P. corcovadense), but is somewhat smaller in overall dimensions. I have collected it twice in southern Bahia and I have seen a few more collections in Herbarium. Philodendron stenolobum is only known from Espirito Santo state and is much more common, being found by me in many different localities. I don´t know when or when the confusion began, but P. stenolobum is called P. williamsii in lots of old publications (including Graf´s Exotica). Simon in his revision of Philodendron Meconostigma included P. stenolobum specimens in P. williamsii, probably because he hadn´t enough good material of P. stenolobum to be sure it was a different thing.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia