Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 07:16:09 -0400

	Great question about the giant form of Sauromatum.  We coined the term
after measuring plants that we had ordered from an Indian Nursery several
years ago.  There were differences in the size of the leaf, the edge of the
leaf, the size of the flower, the type of stem pattern, etc.  We thought
that these would come true from seed, but after 3 years, we find this is
not the case and have stopped selling them for now.  You can see still see
photos on our website. It is possible that they are cross pollinating with
the normal types in our garden.  It is my assumption that they come from
some part of India, but I have been to this region to study the plants in
the wild.  In our garden, the giant ones are astonishing.  I guess I will
have to resort to tissue culture.  I hope someone who has studied these in
the wild will comment further.

At 01:43 AM 7/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I've grown the usual Typhonium/Sauromatum venosum outdoors here in NW
>for 15+ years now with no special care or winter protection (and little or no
>supplmental water in summer for that matter) and agree with Deni - tough
as old
>boots. We usually see +38 C days in summer, often with no rain for weeks and,
>very rarely, -28 C as an overnight winter low with no snow cover but lots of
>winter rain. I have inflorescences and seed set every year.
>I've got a couple of questions about the giant form, though, which I only
>acquired a year ago from a friend in a somewhat milder climate - has anyone
>tested its hardiness? Is it as tough as the "common" variety?
>Also, does anyone know the background on the giant form? Are we talking one
>clone, or are there several large clones in cultivation? Is it/are they
from a
>distinct area? Is it/are they just genetically large diploids, or is there
>polyploidy going on? Has anyone had seed set on the/a giant form, and if
>so was it viable? (Yes, I know with that level of offset production no one
>needs to grow sauromatum from seed, but surely someone has tried just from
>academic curiosity...)
>-- Steve Marak
>-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
>Aroid-l mailing list