Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium
  • From: Ron Kaufmann kaufmann@sandiego.edu
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:18:02 -0700

Hi All,

    The collection records in Tropicos indicate that this species was collected at 1300-2600 m elevation.  I've been told by the folks at Ecuagenera that this species does best under cooler conditions than many other Anthuriums, and my experience has been that warm conditions (high temperatures consistently in the low 90s Fahrenheit, 32-34 deg Celsius) lead to progressive decline in the plant.  Currently, I grow this species successfully in a humid area that seldom exceeds 86 deg F/30 deg C during the day and cools down to 60-62 deg F/15-16 deg C at night.

Ron Kaufmann
Coastal Southern California, USA

Aroideae@aol.com wrote:

 hi geoff---it's actually A cabrerense, and old Engler species.  i believe though that it's known only from Colombia.  i've had no luck growing it.  someone else will have to help you with that.  i know that a number of people grow it very well. there's little doubt about it's identity. there are some plants floating around that have been tagged 'the black anthurium', but these turn out to be A watermaliense. lynn
Hi all,
Does anyone have any more information about the mysterious Black Anthurium from Ecuador? I know this topic was discussed a long time ago and I think that someone (Lynn Hannon?) suggested a species called A. crebrerense (I think thats the spelling). I was sure this name was on the species list on the aroid website but on looking again it seems to have vanished. Has its identity been confirmed or is it perhaps an undescribed species? It is such a large and dramatic species (Ecuagenera Orchids sell them at most shows when they exhibit here in the UK). Any update would be welcome, also any tips on growing it would be great, since it seems a rather fussy species.

Best wishes,
Geoffrey Kibby