Re: [Aroid-l] P. stenolobum/Steve Lucas.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] P. stenolobum/Steve Lucas.
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" steve@exoticrainforest.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:01:37 -0500

Thanks Julius. And I am a member.

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
To: <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 5:24 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest
To: aroid-l-request@gizmoworks.com
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:45 AM
Subject: Philodendron stenolobum

Dear Steve (Lucas),

I hope this info will tell you 'everything (or at least most of) what you need to know about P. stenolobum, and now have asked'!
Please allow me to act once again as THE 'shill' for the IAS. All of our active members would have received a copy of Aroideana vol. 25 0f 2002, where my friend Dr. Eduardo Goncalves and Emerson Salviani, both of Brazil, have published a MAGNIFICENT work on all the species of 'tree' or self-heading Philodendron species, illustrated ( ! ) with both wonderful photos AND Eduardo`s expertly self-rendered line drawings, AND a key to all species!!! Pg. 2--"New Species and Changing Concepts of Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma. (Araceae).
Just for your information, and till you can join the IAS and hopefully purchase a back-issue of this invaluable Aroideana ( ALL back issues are priceless!), what has been described as a new species from S. W. Brazil, namely P. stenolobum, USED to be called P. williamsii in the hobby. To add to our 'fun', the TRUE P. williamsii DOES (or did) exist in the N. E. Atlantic forest, some remanents of which still survive surrounded by cow pastures. To add to our "luck', just last year our mentor Dr. Thomas Croat very kindly distributed just a couple of plants of TRUE P. williamsii that were expertly grown at MOBOT from wild-collected seed sent to him from Brazil! Somewhere in my files I have photos taken of one of these juv. plants kindly taken by my good friend Barry Scwartz, maybe Barry will bring photos of this plant as it grows to an aduly to the Sept. show in Miami?? True P. williamsii is not as striking a plant as the 'desirable' form of true P. stenolobum, the one w/ wavy leaf margins that can be up to 90 cm long by 40 cm wide, P. williamsii has shorter, broader leaves.
To see some of THE best examples of these rare plants, come to Sept`s show in Miami, Ron Weeks usually shows many of THE best speciemens of MANY Philos and other Aroids that I have seen.
I hope the above both provides the information that you were looking for, and may encourage both yourself AND others to FINALLY put up the $25.00 to become a member of our beloved IAS!

Good Growing!

Julius

Can anyone give me any information regarding Philodendron stenolobum?  I
understand it is a Brazilian specie but I can't find much about it.
Especially interested in how large the leaves will grow. This is the
information I've uncovered so far:

Some sources say this is a hybrid plant. Both TROPICOS (Missouri Botanical
Garden) and the International Plant Names Index show it is a specie from Brazil
so I will treat it as a specie. The plant has long wavy narrow leaves. There
are at least two variations of the specie and one (not the variety shown in my
photo) has much narrower and extremely wavy leaves. This plant is a self
header and is not a climber. Some consider it a "tree Philodendron" that
develops a thick "trunk" as it grows. I am unable to find a technical
scientific description on any of the normal sources so I have no idea how long
the leaves will get but I'm told they will reach close to 30 inches. At one
time P. stenolobum was thought to be a more narrow form of P. williamsii but is
now recognized as a separate species.

I'm attaching a photo.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas