Re: [Aroid-l] Pollinatrion in KY

I have a large Anthurium schlechtendalii that produces a spathe and spadix each summer about this time, got one now.  The only insects in my atrium in any quantity are ants.  They always climb up and down the spadix.  Almost without fail, each September I have viable seed berries and have grown small plants several years. It certainly appears the ants are doing the job.
Steve Lucas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:08 PM
Subject: [Aroid-l] Pollinatrion in KY

Julius I thought it was interesting that they would be on the flower
with pollen. From what I can tell it looked like they were eating it or
taking it as well. Maybe the pollen was still a bit sweet from the
nectar? Either way I think they could easily be pollinating the plants.
Aroid-L mailing list
Aroid-L mailing list