From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Tom Croat
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:32 PM
To: Robyn Wilkerson (E-mail); Mary Hammer (E-mail); Mary Stephan (E-mail); David Wolfersberger (E-mail); Xavier Delannay (E-mail); Aroid-L (E-mail); Gaylene Engelbrecht (E-mail); Laura Brossart (E-mail); Laura Lytle (E-mail); Gerry Nell (E-mail)
Subject: [Aroid-l] Translation of Engler's revision of Anthurium

Dear Aroiders & Volunteers:

        About 15 years ago I had a wonderfully dedicated volunteer named Elenor Sauer a Latin scholar, who agreed to translate Engler's Revision of Anthurium in to English.  She worked on this for months and succeeded in getting most of it completed but not to include Sections Semaeophyllium, Sect. Schizoplacium and Sect. Dactylophyllium. We did not translate these sections because Mike Madison had covered those groups in his 1978 revision in Selbyana. In addition we now have a new revision of section Semaeophyllium which was just published (Croat & Carlsen, 2007).

        I had always intended to publish this translated version once it was complete but Mrs Sauer was using some strange pre-word program and for some reason found that she could not get this converted into any electronic copy that we could use.  In addition she has moved away then finally passed away so there is no way that I could ever retrieve the copy.  I have only one hard copy of this manuscript in double-spaced copy.  I would like to make it available to the aroid community but would need volunteer help to get it retyped in Word.  It would be a big job for any one person but if I could get a group of persons willing to take on bits of this we could merge the contributions, standardize the formatting and then post it on the IAS web site.

        Would any of you who would consider volunteering to retype parts of this manuscript in a word document please contact me.  The existing pages number 430 and each page has between 20 and 25 lines per page.  The text is typed and easy to read.  There are a number of hard returns on most pages that could be eliminated.  Perhaps someone who is familiar with scanning might decide it this is something that could be scanned successfully.

        If I succeed in getting a small group of volunteers to work on this jointly the job could be completed quickly and efficiently and I could then make it available for the use of all interested parties.

Tom Croat

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Aroid-L mailing list