[Aroid-l] (maybe A. hypnosa?) Re: Alocasia ID

Brian,

Do you know if it sends out long runners at ground
level? If so... perhaps it could be that
'stoloniferous' Alocasia from SW China and Thailand
that was eventually called A. hypnosa - the pattern of
the veins looks similar. That species is 'unusual' in
that it normally goes dormant in the winter/dry
season, and has a fat rhizome and rather thin leaves.
Also, apparently, the upper part of the spathe is
reddish or purple in colour.

I know there are a few people on aroid-L who are more
familiar with this species - maybe they could chime
in?

Anyway, there's an A. hypnosa page on the IAS website:
www.aroid.org/genera/alocasia/hypnosa/

And a link to the scientific publication of A. hypnosa
(detailed description & drawings):
http://www.sekj.org/PDF/anb42-free/anb42-395.pdf

Hope this is helpful.

cheers