Re: Monstera tenuis in cultivation.

  • Subject: Re: Monstera tenuis in cultivation.
  • From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger@web.de>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:39:29 +0200

It is about five years ago that I found a well developed, adult species of Monstera tenuis in the Botanical Garden of Darmstadt (Germany). It didnŽt have a name tag and nobody could tell. I got a stem cutting with two internodes and adult leaves. After I have cut the stem into two pieces (each nodium) I sterilized it and  put it into a cup of fresh water. As soon root tips developed after two weeks, I put the cuttings into a cup filled with sterile, washed coarse river sand. There it took a while until  new shoots showed. The result was: a stem of one millimeter diameter, very long internodes and tiny, round, juvenile leaves. The stems grew for several meters, but the leaves did not get any bigger. I cut the stems again and again and each new cutting produced the same type of new shoots. Over the years now, the oldest plants have a stem of 15 millimeter diameter and still the same type of round, juvenile leaves up to 20 cm diameter. I think it needs time and the right growing conditions to produce adult, split leaves as well as shorter internodes. I never had problems with rooting any cuttings,- like I hardly have problems propagating different Monsteras under "Central European greenhouse conditions". I am about to make a picture documentation of my different Monsteras (with a lot of
ID- questions directed to the forum). I wish I had more time to do it. IŽll be back!

Helmut