Re: Leaf unfolding

  • Subject: Re: Leaf unfolding
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Marek,

Convolute vernation is the unrolling of the leaves where the blade margins are curled inward towards the midrib. So, if your drawing shows the top of the leaf as the top of the illustration, it is upside down. In your photos, it would be rolled adaxially or toward the central plant axis.  Contrast this with revolute leaf margins where the blade margins are rolled to the underside of the blade.  Notice that I did not say revolute vernation.  If we were discussing revolute leaf margins, your left image  would be a cross section of this.

Involute simply means rolled along the longitudinal axis, so when applied to vernation or the unrolling of the emerging leaf, it resembles a shell spiral in cross section....as in your drawing.

I will not go into this, but, another type of vernation....which is seen in cycads of the genus, Cycas, is circinnate.  I love watching new leaves unfurl.