Re: A. erythrorrhachis hybrid may be 'taking'

  • Subject: Re: A. erythrorrhachis hybrid may be 'taking'
  • From: "Christopher Rogers" <CRogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 05:40:30 -0700

Title: Amorphophallus gigas flowering in Sunnyvale
I really do not know, since I have yet to add this species to my collection.
I was thinking about your fruits further; when they do ripen you may want to pick one at random and cut it transversely in half to see if there is an actual embryo inside.
Like Paul (and Yoda) said size matters not. When the fruits are ripe they will probably be bright red (some species are blue), they will get a little mushy, and start dropping off.
Happy days!
D. Christopher Rogers
Invertebrate Ecologist
Telephone: 530.383.4798