Amorphophallus titanum to bloom (probably...)

  • Subject: Amorphophallus titanum to bloom (probably...)
  • From: "Brian O'Brien" <bobrien@gustavus.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 13:03:23 -0500

Here's a link for our largest Amorphophallus titanum (Perry/Hyperion), located at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota.  It started to grow in late May, and the shoot looks like an inflorescence to me (rather than a leaf), due to its puffy appearance.

I would appreciate some opinions on this from list members.  Predictions of the probable time of opening would be useful, as well.  Right now, I'm thinking that perhaps it will be late July or early August.

We're on the way to setting up for public visitation, and are planning have a streaming webcam and other facilities.

This link contains links to the current webcam (the image is renewed every five minutes, if I remember correctly) photos, and posts on the history of the plant, which first flowered in May 2007.

http://arboretum.blog.gustavus.edu/2010/06/30/titan-surge/

Brian

--
Brian A. O'Brien, Department of Chemistry, Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue, Saint Peter, Minnesota  56082  U.S.A.

Chair, Department of Chemistry, 2008-2010