Re: Sauromatum x Pinellia hybrid.... and others...

  • Subject: Re: Sauromatum x Pinellia hybrid.... and others...
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:03:55 -0500

>  I've posted images of the flower this spring, and the plant as it
>currently grows in comparison with both putative
>parents, Sauromatum venosum and Pinellia pedatisecta.
>
>http://www.plantdelights.com/gallery/Aroids/Copy_of_Sauromatum_x_pinellia_in_bud

Dear Tony
	This is a fascinating topic. As you probably know both
Sauromatum venosum (aka Typhonium) has a chromosome number of 2N= 26.
This is the same for Pinellia pedatisecta and some (but not all )
others in this genus ie 2N = 26

	I realize that chromosome nos. of themselves has little
meaning, but suggests a likelier road to hybridization.

	In your differentiation of these two species you did not
mention what seems the easiest and most consistent feature- petiole
pattern. In Sauromatum the petiole is more or less heavily brown
spotted and blotched, while Pinellia pedatisecta has no spots and is
uniformly green.  I have a hard time keeping Sauromatum alive
outdoors in the ground, but somehow tubers pop up in pots as do
Pinellia. The petiole pattern is always a dead give away even on
small plants.

	I didn't find your pix of the hybrid flower, but I'll search
some more unless you have a handy url.

	In this same discussion, the cv "Indian Giant' is brought to
mind. This is a much larger form of S. venosum. Could it be a
tetraploid? Has anyone compared chromosome numbers to the typical,
smaller form? And is this, by the way, any more or less hardier than
the typical form?

	And even a bit father afield are the 2 species Dracunculus
vulgaris and Helicodiceros m. The former is found in the western
Mediterranean islands and has a 2N= 28. The latter is found in the
Eastern Medterranean with 2n = 56. Apparently there's no place where
both occur in nature.

	Is Helicodiceros derived from a tetraploid ancestor of
Dracunculus vulgaris or do they both share a diploid, and at one time
more wide spread,  ancestor?  More importantly can they be hybridized
to produce a triploid F1?

	Growing these species in close proximity as you do encourages
bee produced hybrids to form. I really enjoy your exploring this
here. More as I give it more thought.

		Best		Jim W.

--
Dr. James W. Waddick