Re: Amorphophallus Seeds needed for Leaf developmentstudies

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus Seeds needed for Leaf developmentstudies
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:28:17 -0500

Dear Arden:

It is fantastic that you have some seeds for Claudia to use.  What she is doing requires that she needs up to about 50 plants because she has to dig into the apical meristem to find stages of development which are just right to determine how the leaves are developing. I think that Amorpophallus seeds, owing to their large size my develop into plants more quickly than some genera.  For some genera that produce rapid growth like Syngonium and Philodendron we will just cut up sections of vine to get individual plants.

Please mail the seeds directly to Emily in the greenhouse, Mrs. Emily Colletti, Missouri Botanical Garden, Box 299, St. Louis, MO.  I think if the envelope is not too large it will come through directly without being intercepted by the USDA.

I hope that all is well with you and Christine.  I am going to Colombia in about two weeks to a conference in Ibague then will go to Ecuador for two weeks and back to Colombia. I would love to go back to where you were on the road to San José Palmar.

Tom