Re: Dieffenbachia seguine

  • Subject: Re: Dieffenbachia seguine
  • From: Sherry Gates <thetropix@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 20:01:06 +0000

Hi All,

  Just for the heck of it I wanted to mention this regarding Sassafrass & Sarsaparilla.

"We have other examples of plant names where this has occurred, such as sarsaparilla and sassafras in North America."

   I may not have fully understood if it was being suggested they might be the same thing/plant/drink.  They're not the same plant.  One is a tree and one is a large vine (Smilax) with large thorns that'll take the hide off a hog.   Smilax roots will grow as big as a man's arm (or leg!).      I've also heard that the Native Americans used to make smoking pipes out of them, too... but I don't know if they did or not.

                             Have a great weekend, everyone!    sherry