RE: "Yams"

> Dear Friends,
> I agree with Eduardo; I have this exact plant grown from commercially
> corms from a local Jamaican grocery as "red co-co"; it probably should
> called X. violacium untill a review of the Genus Xanthosoma is done.
There is
> another var. of Xanthosoma here in W.P.B. that is MUCH blacker (no, not
> Colocasia, it`s a Xanthosoma !) which I supplied to the Nat. Zoo for
> "Amazon" exibit.
> Julius

I commented on this list a couple of years ago about the plant labeled
"Xanthosoma violacea" that I saw at Kew Gardens in London at one of the
conservatories.  This plant was clearly a Xanthosoma with *huge* leaves that
were very dark, almost black.  Seeking same, I searched for a source of
"Xanthosoma violacea" here in the U.S.  What I've consistently ended up
finding is a large Xanthosoma with purple/black stems, but the leaves are
green (and not at all comparable to the almost black leaves I saw on the Kew
plant).  Do you know of a source for the ultra-dark Xanthosoma violacea?

Clarence Hester