Re: Monstera Fruit

I have eaten a few from the plants here at Fairchild Garden. They ripen slowly,
and each fruit only has a small section that ripens each day. I was also told
to eat only the part from which the scales fell on their own, and that seemed
to be just a few inches per day.

Hope this helps,
Craig M. Allen

--- StellrJ@aol.com wrote:
> Today, I was in the food co-op on the east side of Olympia, Washington.  It
> was the last place I ever expected to see Mostera deliciosa fruits, but there
>
> they were--the name translated to "Delicious Monster Fruit."  Well, since
> this is a fruit I have long daydreamed of one day tasting, I "seized the day"
>
> and bought one, even though, at $5.45 each, they were more than I would
> normally shell out for produce.
>
> Attached to each fruit with a rubber band were instructions from the grower
> (an organic farm in Florida) on how to use the fruit.  They said to put the
> fruit in an empty jar, stem end up, and wait for the green scales to fall off
>
> and reveal a white core.  Twice they pointed out that this must happen on the
>
> fruits own accord, without human help (presumably because of calcium
> oxalate).  Well, I have followed those instructions, and the fruit sits in
> its jar on a shelf in my bedroom.  Does anyone else have experience with this
>
> fruit, to tell me if there is anything else I need to do?  At that price, I
> cannot afford to let it go to waste.
>
> Jason Hernandez
> Naturalist-at-Large

===
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com