Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden
  • From: Jack Honeycutt <jhoneycutt@uswest.net>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:30:47 -0500 (CDT)

At 07:51 PM 6/16/2000 -0500, Craig wrote:

>At Fairchild Tropical Garden this plant is now growing in the epiphyte room
>of the Conservatory.

>  Many visitors have commented that the leaves look
>painted on to the wall.

The poor pictures that I posted did not do this strange and exotic plant
justice. I admit to not knowing a thing about "Shingle" plants, but I have
never seen such odd looking leaves.  Leaves painted on the wall IS a good
description!!

It looked to me like they were growing up a stucco wall.  They were very
thin, very flat; as flat as they could be against the wall.  I doubt that I
could slide a piece of paper between the leaves and the wall, or between
leaves.

Perhaps you might have some better pictures to post than I.....

Here is the link to the snapshots that I posted earlier:

Vine photo (close up) #1:
http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child1b.jpg
Vine photo (close up) #2:
http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child2b.jpg
Vine photo (small, very young leaves) #3:
http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child3b.jpg
Here is the ID tag at Fairchild:
http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child4a.jpg

And here is the link to the photo that Geoffrey posted:

http://members.aol.com/Geoffaroid/artwork/Rhaphidophora.jpg

jack in Oregon