Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden
  • From: GeoffAroid@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:22:10 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 17/6/00 1:51:51 am, conserv@netrox.net writes:

>The plant in discussion at FTG is
>Rhaphidophora sp.                FG74407       S. E. Asia
>COMMON NAME: Shingle plant
>SOURCE: Botanic Garden, Lae, New Guinea
>clasping wall. This plant has small 2" spadix barely emerging from between
>the clasped leaves.

Hi Craig, Jack, Peter et al,

Just got back from a weekend conference to find the numerous messages about
the mystery shingle aroid - this is such exciting stuff! Glad you were able
to gives us the differences between your Monstera dubia and this mystery
(probable) Rhaphidophora. We obviously are all talking about the same plant.
I must ask Hans Hvissers in Holland where his plants originated from (and
which I now have cuttings of). My three plants are racing away and send out
new shoots all over the place and already they are beginning to flatten
themselves against the bark. I shall watch them daily to see if any flowers
appear! Do they flower all year round or are they seasonal Craig? As they get
bigger I will propagate and distribute where possible. Thanks also to all
those who replied concerning hybridization between aroid genera.....again,
interesting stuff.

Regards to all,
Geoffrey Kibby