RE: Mulch in the mix

I have used mulch in a pinch, but found that if you can get the ground fir
bark the orchid growers use that works quite nicely.  There is a finer grade
that's about 1/4" I've been trying to find here in the Ft. Lauderdale area
that I bet would be just right...Drains well, and gives the added benefit of
adding organics to the medium as it breaks down.  I've noticed many good
aroid growers (not large-scale plantmills) include some sort of ground wood
material in their potting medium.

Thats just this newbie's take on the situation though ;-)
Debbie Swartz (Zone 10 -- Fort Lauderdale)
My tropical plant images (many available)