Re: A. titanum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: A. titanum
  • From: Tim & Mary McNinch <Newton@coiinc.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:35:04 -0500 (CDT)

Just catching up on mail.

I visited the Atlanta Botanical Gardens last week and saw the wilting
remnants of
the A. titanum that bloomed one week ago. Even as a 'smaller' bloom than
the one
they bloomed last year it was still amazing. I walked beneath the 15' leaf
of the
sister plant last summer that was on display in the tropical rooms. Trying to
explain the plant to other, non-interested friends back home, I knew it was
in translation and I was written off as an idiot.

As I stood near the bloom I watched other people come and go and look at the
display. Most were unimpressed as they had no idea the significance of what was
before them. A few, however, knew exactly what they were seeing as the smiles
appeared and cameras came out.