Re: Acorus not an Aroid? was Source for Philodendrons

  • Subject: Re: Acorus not an Aroid? was Source for Philodendrons
  • From: "Scott Lucas" <htbg@ilhawaii.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:40:50 -0500 (CDT)

Per D.J. Mabberley ("The Plant Book")

Acorus is now Acoraceae.... "formerly included in Araceae but habit and
other morphological as well as molecular features exclude it;  it has been
argued that the family is 'basal' to the Monocots in being intermediate
between several orders, having similarities with Araceae & Typhaceae but the
presence of oil idioblasts & absence of raphides reminiscent of
Zingiberaceae though it is outstanding in its well-developed perisperm
devoid of starch."