Re: Titan in Madison

  • Subject: Re: Titan in Madison
  • From: Susan Cooper <coops@execpc.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:44:29 -0500 (CDT)

I was looking through the archives of Aroid-L and found this from Lord P in

Whaddayaknow! I myself was on this Symon/Hetterscheid/Attenborough
expedition....... We collected the vast majority (90%) of the titanum-seeds
from a gigantic infructescence you can see in Aroideana 19, page 14, fig.
18. I don't right now remember the infruct photo in Attenborough's book, but
you can compare it to the one in Aroideana and see if it matches. I can tell
you all that the thrill of running into such a giant fruiting monster was
overwhelming.........and then we started to pick the berries for you
people....... That was a big job. When we washed them in water to clean off
the flesh of the berries we all got terribly itchy hands. The things we

The record setting Amorphophallus titanum that recently bloomed in Madison,
Wisconsin came from seed credited to Lord P.

Way to go!