Re: amorpho titanium pollen !!!

  • Subject: Re: amorpho titanium pollen !!!
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:03:50 -0500 (CDT)

Errrr, I guess my message to Ron (just posted), sort of may be a shock to
some...... I'll be liberal about this (after all I AM from Holland): I think
people may hybridise whatever they want. What we should avoid, is that such
hybrids go unnoticed into cultivation. They should be properly identifibale
by a cultivar name (there is an antire nomenclature code for cultivated
plants dedicated to this issue). On the other hand, we may not want to name
every individual plant that is a one-time result of a hybridisation.....
This is actually a problematic issue, I must admit. In commercial perennial
breeding, breeders sometimes adhere to to those "interesting" looking
botanical names of their hybrids, suggesting it still IS that species,
instead of discarding of the species name and adding a cultivar name. THAT
is the wrong attitude and blurs the borderline between interest in wild
plants and interest in "nice looking plants of whatever origin".

Lord P.