Re: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?

  • Subject: Re: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?
  • From: Douglas Ewing <dewing@u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:37:00 -0500 (CDT)

Search for info under the name "Sporotrichosis".  The organism involved is
the fungus Sporotrichum schenckii.  Infection is through cuts and
abrasions in the skin, small blisters can form. If not treated, can spread
to other organs and become serious disease.  My understanding is that it
is easily controlled by anti-biotics , but is often not diagnosed, due to
it's rarity.

Doug ( but I'm no Dr. ) Ewing

Doug Ewing, Greenhouse Manager (206) 543-0436
Department of Botany
University of Washington
Box 355325
Seattle, WA   98195-5325