Peat Moss as a Carrier of a Fungus

  • Subject: Peat Moss as a Carrier of a Fungus
  • From: Don Burns <donburns@macconnect.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:40:39 -0500 (CDT)

In my few years in the aroid world I have been mixing all of the planting
mixes I use. Nearly all use ground peat to some extent. Some time back I
heard that peat moss (and maybe sphagnum) act as carriers for certain
funguses that attack not only human skin, but can enter the body through
open sores and raise hell.

Has anyone seen any literature or other information to substantiate these

Don Burns
Fort Lauderdale FL    USA
Zone 10b