hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Line breeding vs hybridization

  • Subject: Re: Line breeding vs hybridization
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 00:15:58 -0500 (CDT)

Neil, what a well spoken commentary upon personal choice of like and dislike.
Those who hold true to either side of the coin, will find life to be rather
rigid and unforgiving when they step off of their high and mighty mountains and
come down here to the realm of nature in the valley where anything goes and
everything has an opportunity.


Neil Carroll wrote:

> Ron, It is rare that I have read such furious defense of the keeping of
> "pure" species and such an aversion to hybridization. I personally am a
> species collector because I enjoy the beauty of what I am attracted to. But,
> beyond the taxonomists' obvious frustration with hybridizers, I see no
> reason to viscously attack those who wish to hybridize. Your point of view
> seems to exclude and put "outside of Nature" humans. I can think of no
> scenario that excludes humans from nature. We and what we do are intricatly
> and inextricably a part of Nature. NO matter how "obscene" you think people
> are.
> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like Anthurium but find Spaths
> rather banal. I find Amorph. and Dracontium beautiful but know that the
> population at large would find them ugly. The plants  we enjoy are enjoyed
> because of a VISUAL beauty we find in them.
> I have heard many  taxonomists , who mostly deal with "ornamental" or
> collector species (particularly aroids, bromeliads, orchids, etc.), that
> speak of the particular "beauty" over this or that species. In ornamentals
> people hybridize to try to find more "beauty" in what they grow. This is
> there opinion. It is no less valid than yours. To belittle and accuse people
> of doing some sort of irreparable harm is unfair and very narrow in vision.
> The big bang brought us in and a singularity may take us out.......so enjoy
> ......and let others enjoy.
> Maybe you all are just kidding
> Neil

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index