taxonomy, phylogeny and cultonomy

  • Subject: taxonomy, phylogeny and cultonomy
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <p.boyce@rbgkew.org.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:46:15 -0500 (CDT)

All

Wilbert's email concerning cultons and cultonomy has got me to
thinking (well, something had to) that with the leaps in techniques
and tools available to taxonomists that have been made in the past
decade it might be time to review what we call ourselves, based on
what we do.

My primary interest is in elucidating species and genera in the
family Araceae. Species, genera and familes are taxa. I am
studying the morphological differences and similarities between
these taxa. I am a taxonomist.

I have a student who uses the taxa I recognize to try to elucidate
the processes that lead to species being evolutionarily related. This
process is called phylogenetics and the resulting framework of
related taxa is called a phylogeny. Is she, therefore, a phylogenist?

Wilbert has an active interest in cultivated manifestations of taxa.
These are called cultons. Is Wilbert thus a cultonomist?

Answers in an email, please?

Peter Boyce
Herbarium
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew