Re: Line breeding vs hybridization

  • Subject: Re: Line breeding vs hybridization
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:56:16 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Jim,

   What I am trying to say (in my Tarzan's English) is that now we know lots
of examples of spontaneous or semi-spontaneous hybrids being treated as good
species by Linnaeus. Now we know that Linnaeus' Musa paradisiaca is one of
the hybrids of Musa acuminata and Musa balbisiana. The problem is that we
only know that it is an hybrid because we like bananas. However, there are
many "respectable" good species that are, in fact, natural hybrids. We do
not know about them just because they are poorly studied. So we call them
like Linnean binomials. The only difference is that now we know about their
history. If all of them were economically important, it is possible that we
would only have a few Linnean names to apply.

                                Best wishes,

                                      Eduardo.