Re: taxonomy, phylogeny and cultonomy

  • Subject: Re: taxonomy, phylogeny and cultonomy
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:37:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Peter Boyce wrote:

> My primary interest is in elucidating species and genera ...
> I am a taxonomist.
> I have a student who uses the taxa I recognize ... this
> process is called phylogenetics ... Is she, therefore, a phylogenist?
> Wilbert has an active interest in cultivated manifestations of taxa.
> These are called cultons. Is Wilbert thus a cultonomist?

And since my primary interest in and use of the nomenclatural system is to
communicate clearly with others of similar interest, would that make me a
communicant? I do often feel there is a religious flavor about it all.

(If I had the time, I would devote myself to an uprising of gardeners,
horticulturists, ecologists, etc. worldwide, to form a comradeship and
overthrow the elitist aristocracy and return control of the naming system
to the people!

Well, maybe I'd just make it more rational.)

Seriously, though, however silly the system under which you all must
labor, and whatever name you choose for the rose, the breadth of knowledge
of many of the experts on this list shows through, and continues to
impress me on a regular basis.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu