Re: Line breeding vs hybridization

  • Subject: Re: Line breeding vs hybridization
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:19:44 -0500 (CDT)

Supposedly the coyote population that crossed over to the eastern states
through Canada and upstate New York is presumed to have some timber wolf
infusion. The animals are much larger than the original 40 lbs. for adults.
Looking for signs in North Jersey next weekend...

Lewandjim@aol.com@mobot.org on 06/24/2001 01:30:12 AM

Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org

Sent by:  aroid-l@mobot.org

To:   Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>

Hi Jason,

Coyotes and our two North American wolf species are still distinct species.
Your questions are pretty accurate. As the biologists began to try to save
the Red Wolf (Canis niger), the initial efforts were set back when the
captive stock was found to be hybrids with coyotes. Happily undiluted
blood-lines were found and I think the Red Wolf's future is currently
in captivity at least.

"Canis familiaris" was never a good species entity. Linnaeus named it from
the domestic dog - not from a wild population.

    Jim Langhammer

In a message dated 06/23/2001 1:48:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,