Re: Aroids growing better in water?

  • Subject: Re: Aroids growing better in water?
  • From: "Kathy Kempf" <wont_read101@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:50:33 -0500 (CDT)

Steve, as a former AZ resident, and outdoor lover and explorer, I
encountered many cacti and other succulents that grew in standing water.
Among the types I have seen growing this way were: organ pipe cactus
(Stenocereus thurberi) in or around the National Monument, a grandma cactus
(probably a species of Garambullo), and an unidentified type of cholla.  All
were grounded in the shore, but I could see many of the roots penetrating
into surrounding permanent water (lake, pond, etc) and the flood-plain in
which they grew made it obvious that the plant was periodically flooded,
which would last for at least a week.  Haven't tried to grow any of cactus
this way, but they do grow that way naturally.

Kathy Kempf Ohio Zone 6