Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs

  • Subject: Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 17:27:05 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 12:55 PM

>I have not had the same experience with my yellow flags (Iris pseudacorus
>my blue flags (Iris versicolor).  They were in the same situation: water
>rose to above their crowns (growing points) during the spring, and rot set
>in quickly. If I had not lifted them they would undoubtedly have died, even
>though they did have "water roots".  The difference seems to be whether or
>not they have developed "water crowns".  The water level rose to about 2"
>above their emerged stalks.  They had been in normal soil, then flooded in
>the spring, and the water kept rising.

>>Howdy Kathy,

Actually I'd be more hazarding that the soil components rotted, thereby
taking out the roots.  There is a definite difference between happily
potted water plants and rotting soil.  The only water irises I have ever
lost stank when removed... whether this was themselves or the soil I do not

Dear Friends,

Now THIS was my exactly experience when I tried growing the neo-tropical
aquatic aroid genus Urospatha in pots full of soil but with the lower 2 - 3
inches of the pot with the soil under the water surface, the SOIL rotted,
stank, and the plants all died!    By putting about 3 - 4 inches of larva
rock or ANY rock, broken crock, etc. in the pots' bottom and soil w/ plant
above this, then standing this set-up in a saucer with no more than 2 - 3"
of water, and then watering from above till the roots grew out of the pots
drain holes I have avoided any further deaths, and the plants thrived!
Occasional treatments w/ a fungicide drench and WEAK fert., plus changing
the saucer`s water regularly, and your plants will be wonderfuil!!

>>I have pots of Iris pseudacorus and I 'Gerald Darby' completely submersed
in water as well as plants from teh same stock growing in a normal garden.
One was grown first of each (the pseudacorus was originally a garden plant
whereas the 'Gerald Darby' was originally a water plant) and then offsets
were used in the alternative conditions.  Plants such as Iris laevagata
will grow in either situation (I have a number of them that are fully
submerged.... I have been told they prefer that) yet their relatives the
Iris kaempheri (syn I. ensata) tend to rot if fully submerged.  BUT, I pot
with a high sand content when potting water plants, which is very different
to my main soil, so perhaps that is the problem when your garden plants
were inundated.<<

Exactly my experience, VERY little or NO soil when potting for growth under
This 'soil' mix is highly organic, and willl quickly rot and kill the plants
when submerged under water!!!

And.... I just got the Deni Bown "AROIDS: Plants of teh Arum Family"
book..... WOW.  So cool!  So much to learn from that, and I had no idea of
the variety within the "warmer" varieties of Aroid, having rarely seen many
of the things shown.  Some of the broad, longer strap-like leaves on some
of the Anthuriums are just amazing.  And I never realised that a couple of
things were actually Aroids (Syngonium, Dieffenbachia for example) so the
indoor plants I was going to purchase when I clean up my office have just
made a right-turn in planning <grin>.  From first look it is a VERY cool

It is THE aroid book!    There are growers on the list that sometimes offer
seed of some of these sps of Anthuriums, maybe you can obtain some seed
through the mail and grow these treasures in Australia!    Some of your
mates in Australia already have some species, and perhaps they could guide
you in the direction of obtaining a few!
Good luck and CHEERS!

Paul Tyerman