Pollen germination

  • Subject: Pollen germination
  • From: Marc Gibernau <gibernau@aurore.cict.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:35:37 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Aroiders,

I write a single message to answer to the different questions. Sorry for
those who are not interested by the question.

Apparently, nobody tried to test pollen viability by germiantions in vivo.
I used the Brewbaker-Kwack Medium (10% sucrose, 100mg/L Boric acid,
 300 mg/L Calcium nitrate, 200 mg/L Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate,
 100 mg/L Potassium nitrate and distilled water.

I only obtain 20-30% germination rates for Arum italicum.

Apparently, there is a "better" medium for trinucleate pollen species
called "Leduc, Monnier and Douglas" with a lot of new nutrients.
I shall test it next year when the Arum will flower again!!!

Sincerely yours,

Marc Gibernau