Re: Synandrospadix

  • Subject: Re: Synandrospadix
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:37:33 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: <GeoffAroid@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 5:17 PM
Subject: Synandrospadix

Dear Geoff,

Thanks for sharing this nice photo!   Just for the general information, this
looks to be a young but mature plant, this sp. can get to 3-4ft (over 1 m)
tall and about 3 ft (1 M ) wide!   The one Bobby had was this size before it
was devastated by a nematode attack, it had about six or more blooms at
different stages all at one time!
Good growing,

>>Dear aroiders,
I was at the Botanic gardens in Kew today and thanks to the kindness of the
staff there I was given a tour of the aroid houses. Among the many treasures
there, in full flower, were two magnificent specimens of Synandrospadix
vermitoxicus. The smell of the flowers was very unusual, like an intense and
concentrated mushroom odour, not particularly unpleasant and I would imagine
attractive to fungus gnats. I cant wait till my own seedlings reach such
perfection! For anyone who wishes to see the photo I took its posted at: <A

Best wishes,
Geoffrey Kibby